Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Thermal expansion of steam pipes heated from room temperature to operation temperature (mm pr. 100 m pipe).
Expansion of steam pipes when pressurized and heated from room temperature.
Steam Pipes - Thermal Expansion
(mm / 100 m Pipe)
|66 ||63 |
|93 ||96 |
|121 ||136 |
|149 ||166 |
|177 ||203 |
|204 ||246 |
|232 ||279 |
|260 ||323 |
Note! - to avoid unacceptable stress and damage of pipe lines - handle the expansion properly!
Example - Expansion of Steam Pipe
A system is designed for pressure 10 bar with operating temperature approximately 180 oC. As indicated in the table above (177 oC) the expansion is is approximately 203 mm100m pipe.
The expansion of a 35 m long pipe can be calculated as
dl = ((203 mm100m) / (100 m)) (35 m)
= 71 mm
- Sizing of steam and condensate pipe lines - pressure loss, recommended velocity, capacity and more.
- Steam & condensate systems- properties, capacities, pipe sizing, systems configuration and more.
- Calculate ring (or pipe) diameter expansion or contraction when temperature changes.
- Temperature changes introduces stress fixed pipes.
- Online linear temperature expansion calculator.
- Thermal expansion coefficients metals.
- Pipes expands when heated and contracts when cooled and the expansion can be expressed with the expansion equation.
- Temperature expansion coefficients for materials used in pipes and tubes like aluminum, carbon steel, cast iron, PVC, HDPE and more.
- Expansion and contraction when cast iron, carbon and carbon molybdenum steel, wrought iron, copper, brass and aluminum pipes are heated or cooled.
- Temperature expansion loops with pressfit piping.
- Thermal expansion of PVC, CPVC, Carbon and Stainless Steel and Fiberglass pipes.
- Stress and force when thermal expansion a pipe, beam or similar is restricted.
- Steam is a compressible gas where pipe line mass flow capacity depends on steam pressure.
- Steam is a compressible gas where the capacity of a pipe line depends on the size of the pipe and the steam pressure.
- Calculate temperature expansion with carbon steel pipes.
- Calculating and sizing steel pipe thermal expansion loops.
- Linear temperature expansion coefficients for common materials like aluminum, copper, glass, iron and many more.
- Expansion of steam pipes heated from room temperature to operation temperature.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2003). Steam Pipes - Thermal Expansion. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/temperature-expansion-steam-pipes-d_256.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.