Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
The force ratio is the load force versus the effort force.
A machine is a device that can change the magnitude and line of the action of force.
Examples of machines are
A simple machine amplifies the input (effort) force to a larger output (load) force. The force ratio can be expressed as
Fr = F / S (1)
Fr = force ratio - mechanical advantage
F = load force (N, lbf)
S = effort force (N, lbf)
Example - Force Ratio for Pulley
The effort force for a pulley with 4 ropes, no friction loss (μ = 1) and load 100 kg is calculated to 245 N.
The force ratio can be estimated to
Fr = (100 kg) (9.81 m/s2) / (245 N)
- Forces, acceleration, displacement, vectors, motion, momentum, energy of objects and more.
- Acceleration of gravity and Newton's Second Law - SI and Imperial units.
- Required forces to move bodies up inclined planes.
- Forces due to circular motion and centripetal / centrifugal acceleration.
- The force required to keep a system of forces in equilibrium.
- Newton's third law - force vs. mass and acceleration.
- Output torque, speed and horsepower with gears.
- Gears effort force vs. load force.
- Calculate hydraulic cylinder force.
- Forces acting a very short time are called impulse forces.
- Use levers to magnify forces.
- Pulley (Sheave) selection charts for motors ranging 850 - 3450 rpm.
- Machines and movement ratio (velocity ratio).
- Force excerted by pneumatic air cylinders vs. air pressure cylinder size - online calculator.
- Pulleys, blocks and tackles.
- Screw jacks and effort forces.
- A toggle joint mechanism can be used to multiply force.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2008). Force Ratio. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/force-ratio-d_1294.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.