Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Recommended dimensions hot and cold water pipes.
The table below can be used to determine the maximum numbers of draw offs served by a pipe:
Hot and Cold Water Pipes Sizing
|Nominal bore of pipe||Maximum number of draw offs served|
|Flow pipes||Return pipes|
|Head up to |
|Head over |
|1/2 ||15 ||15 ||1 ||1 - 2 ||1 - 8 |
|3/4 ||20 ||22 ||2 - 4 ||3 - 9 ||9 - 29 |
|1 ||25 ||28 ||5 - 8 ||10 - 19 ||30 - 66 |
|1 1/4 ||32 ||35 ||9 - 24 ||20 - 49 ||67 - 169 |
|1 1/2 ||40 ||42 ||25 - 49 ||50 - 79 ||170 - 350 |
|2 ||50 ||54 ||50 - 99 ||80 - 153 || |
|2 1/2 ||65 ||67 ||100 - 200 ||154 - 300 || |
- Basins, sinks, showers and similar are regarded as 1 draw off
- Baths and similar are regarded as 2 draw offs
- Hot and cold water service systems - design properties, capacities, sizing and more.
- Cold water storage for occupants in common types of buildings as factories, hospitals, houses and more
- Design procedures for domestic hot water service systems.
- Introduction to general design of domestic service water supply systems - with pressurized or gravity tanks.
- Content of hot water in some common used fixtures - basins, sinks and baths.
- Hot water can be circulated through a return pipe if it's instantly required at the fixtures.
- Consumption of hot water per person or occupant.
- Friction loss (psi/100 ft) and velocity for water flow in plastic PVC pipe schedule 40.
- Materials used in water distribution pipes.
- Water service pipe lines extends from the potable water source to the interior of buildings.
- Converting WSFU - Water Supply Fixture Units - to GPM.
- WSFU is used to calculate water supply service systems.
- Sizing of water supply pipe lines.
- Required water supply to public buildings.
- Free online tool for designing water supply systems in buildings.
- Water consumption in garden fixtures.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2003). Hot and Cold Water Pipes Sizing. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hot-cold-water-pipe-sizes-d_83.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.