CO2 Calculator - Emissions from Cars
Calculator for CO2 emissions from different kind of cars (gasoline, diesel, LPG, electrical), comparing with alternative forms of transportation (as airplane, bus and train).
Online CO2 calculator for travel by car
By filling in the required information, the calculator below can be used to estimate the CO2 emissions from your travels by car.
Additionally, it compares with emissions from alternative ways of travel.
How far do you drive?
Not sure how far you are going? See Driving distance between European cities and Flight distances between cities in and between different continents.
See also CO2 calculator - emissions from airplanes and CO2 calculator- emissions from trains for more details for aircraft and train emissions.
Unit converter for conversion to and from non-SI units.
A few words about the assumptions for the calculator:
- In comparison with alternative ways of travel, the efficiency regard to distance is set to be:
Car: 1 (reference)
Plane: 0.82 km/km with car
Bus: 1.03 km/km with car
Train: 1.09 km/km with car
(The difference is due to varying driving lines for the different ways of transportation)
- The CO2 emissions are strongly dependent on the energy source of the electrical cars. We have used three different classes:
Low CO2 el: Mainly non-emission electric power (hydroelectric, sun, wind etc)
Medium CO2 el: An even blend of non-emission electric power and power from power plants fired with hydrocarbons (gass, oil or coal)
High CO2 el: Mainly power from hydrocarbon fired power plants
- CO2 emissions from alternative travel are calculated assuming:
- Average filled up train, planes and buses.
- If running on electrical power, trains have the same electricity source as the cars.
- Cars on liquid fuel are compared with electrical trains and cars using Medium CO2 el.