Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
The influence of temperature on the strength of metals.
The diagram below indicates the influence of temperature on the strength of
- structural steel
- castings steel
- cast iron
- wrought iron
- stainless steel (304N)
Strength of Metals - SI Units
Strength of Metals - Imperial Units
Example - Strength of Copper at 100 oC
As indicated in the first figure - the strength of copper is reduced to approximately
95 % at 100 oC
With an Ultimate Tensile Strength - σu - of 220 MPa for copper - the strength is reduced to
0.95 (220 MPa)
= 209 MPa
- Material properties of gases, fluids and solids - densities, specific heats, viscosities and more.
- Calculate ASME 31.3 allowable pressure
- Calculate pipes internal, allowable and bursting pressure.
- Some typical properties of engineering materials like steel, plastics, ceramics and composites.
- Specific heat, density and thermal conductivity of iron related to temperature.
- The Bulk Modulus - resistance to uniform compression - for some common metals and alloys.
- The melting temperatures for some common metals and alloys.
- Elastic properties and Young's modulus for metals and alloys like cast iron, carbon steel and more.
- Thermal conductivities of common metals, metallic elements aand alloys.
- Shear Modulus (Modulus of Rigidity) is the elasticity coefficient for shearing or torsion force.
- Endurance limits and fatigue stress for steels.
- Young's Modulus (or Tensile Modulus alt. Modulus of Elasticity) and Ultimate Tensile Strength and Yield Strength for materials like steel, glass, wood and many more.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2008). Metals - Strength vs. Temperature. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-temperature-strength-d_1353.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.