Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Vents in draining systems protects traps against pressure differences that could cause them to siphon or blow out .
Vents protects traps against pressure differences that could cause them to siphon or blow out, leaving occupants unprotected against smell and potential contaminants from the sewer system.
Draining Systems - Main Vents
|Pipe Size |
|Max. Drainage Fixture Units |
|1 1/4 ||1 |
|1 /1/2 ||81) |
|2 ||24 |
|2 1/2 ||48 |
|3 ||84 |
|4 ||256 |
1) No water closets permitted
- at least one vent should terminate through the roof
- air admittance valves within the building may be permitted (check local authority)
- terminating vents in side wall may be permitted (check local authority)
- Sizes and dimensions of pipes and tubes, and their fittings - inside and outside diameter, weight and more.
- Dimensions of cast iron soil pipes.
- Cleanouts provides access to the sewer for rodding.
- DFU are used to calculate the drainage flow from fixtures and the required capacities of sewer service systems.
- Drain pipes and vent stack sizing.
- Drainage Fixture Units (DFU) connected to building drains and sewers.
- Recommended drain trap sizes for different types of fixtures
- Minimum pitch of horizontal drainage pipes.
- Calculate expected volume flow load in sanitary drainage systems.
- Maximum Drainage Fixture Unit - DFU - loads in sanitary piping systems.
- Septic systems handles waste from drain systems.
- No. of fixture units and required trap size.
- In sewage piping and pumping systems the fluid flow rate must be kept within certain limits to avoid operating problems.
- Converting WSFU - Water Supply Fixture Units - to GPM.
- WSFU is used to calculate water supply service systems.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2008). Draining Systems - Main Vents. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/main-vents-d_1097.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.