Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Acceptable noise - dBA - level at typical common locations.
The main advantage with dB(A) - the A weighted noise or sound measurement - is
- its adaption to how the human ear responses to sound - the human hearing, and
- the possibility to measure noise with "low cost" instruments
Maximum acceptable Equivalent Sound Level - Leq - at some locations:
Noise - Acceptable dBA Levels
|Location||Effects||Maximum Leq |
|Time of day|
|Bedroom ||sleep disturbance, annoyance ||30 ||8 ||night |
|Living area ||annoyance, speech interference ||50 ||16 ||day |
|Outdoor living area ||moderate annoyance ||50 ||16 ||day |
|Outdoor living area ||serious annoyance ||55 ||16 ||day |
|Outdoor living area ||sleep disturbance, with open windows ||45 ||8 ||night |
|School classroom ||speech interference, communication disturbance ||35 ||8 ||day |
|Hospitals patient rooms ||sleep disturbance, communication interference ||30 - 35 ||8 ||day and night |
- Room acoustics and acoustic properties, decibel A, B and C, Noise Rating (NR) curves, sound transmission, sound pressure, sound intensity and sound attenuation.
- Physiological effects from low-frequency noise or vibrations.
- Maximum recommended sound pressure levels in rooms like kindergartens, auditoriums, libraries, cinemas and more.
- Noise Criterion - NC - level is a standard uesd to describe the relative loudness of a space within a range of frequencies.
- The noise level should not exceed certain values to protect public health and welfare.
- Calculate Noise Criterion (NC) from octave band pressure levels.
- Exposure to noise should be controlled so that it is less than a maximum combination of exposure level and duration.
- Estimate noise level generated by traffic.
- Outdoor ambient sound pressure levels (dBA) in rural and urban business and industrial environments with or without limited traffic.
- A noise measurement system for continuous or ambient noise in indoor environments.
- An online Preferred Noise Criterion (PNC) calculator.
- The Room Criteria (RC) is used to measure background noise in buildings for frequencies ranging 16 to 4000 Hz.
- The EPA A-weighted sound level day and night equivalent definition - Ldn - for a 24 hour period.
- The EPA Equivalent Sound Level - Leq - quantifies the noise environment to a single value of sound level for any desired duration.
- The EPA Sound Exposure Level - Ls - describes the noise from a variable source.
- Introduction to decibel, sound power, intensity and pressure.
- Sound power from sources like fans, jet engines, cars, humans and more.
- OSHA maximum A-weighted sound pressure levels allowed per day.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2004). Noise - Acceptable dBA Level. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/decibel-dba-levels-d_728.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.