Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
ASTM mortar types.
Minimum required compressive strength and material quantities in mortar according ASTM C 270:
| ||ASTM Mortar Type |
| ||M ||S ||N ||O |
|Strength (psi) ||2500 ||1800 ||750 ||350 |
|Volume Ratio ||1:1/4:3 ||1:1/2:4 1/2 ||1:1:6 ||1:2:9 |
| ||Proportions by Volume |
|Cement ||0.33 ||0.22 ||0.17 ||0.11 |
|Lime ||0.08 ||0.11 ||0.17 ||0.22 |
|Sand ||1 ||1 ||1 ||1 |
| ||Proportions by Weight |
|Cement ||31.3 ||20.9 ||15.7 ||10.4 |
|Lime ||3.3 ||4.4 ||6.7 ||8.9 |
|Sand ||80 ||80 ||80 ||80 |
- Engineering related topics like Beaufort Wind Scale, CE-marking, drawing standards and more.
- Estimate required quantities of bricks and mortar.
- Common materials and average ultimate compression and tension strength.
- Water vs. cement ratio when mixing concrete.
- Cement, sand and gravel mixtures.
- Properties of normal strength Portland cement concrete.
- Load capacity of simply supported concrete slabs.
- Densities of selected solids.
- Common solids - like brick, cement, glass and many more - and their specific heats - in Imperial and SI units.
- Thermal conductivity coefficients for insulation materials, aluminum, asphalt, brass, copper, steel, gases and more.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2010). Mortar Types. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/mortar-types-d_1735.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.