Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Time to exhaustion and death for humans in cold water.
The survival time for a person in cold water is limited as indicated in the table below:
Human Survival Time in Cold Water
|Water Temperature||Exhaustion Time||Death Time|
|80 ||27 ||unlimited ||unlimited |
|70 - 80 ||21 - 27 ||3 - 12 ||3 - unlimited |
|60 - 70 ||16 - 21 ||2 - 7 ||2 - 40 |
|50 - 60 ||10 - 16 ||1 - 2 ||1 - 6 |
|40 - 50 ||4 - 10 ||0.5 - 1 ||1 - 3 |
|32.5 - 40 ||0 - 4 ||0.25 - 0.5 ||0.5 - 1.5 |
|32.5 ||0 ||< 15 min ||15 - 45 min |
- Human physiology, air quality and comfort temperatures, activity and metabolic rates, health effects of carbon monoxide and more.
- Gaseous polutants emissions from human bodies.
- Specific heat of the human body - compared to substances like protein and wood.
- Composition of the human body.
- Heat gain from persons in air conditioned spaces - in btu/hr.
- pH in human materials like blood, salvia and more.
- Introduction to temperature - including Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin and Rankine definitions - and an online temperature converter.
- Effective Temperature of air in movement.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2009). Survival Time in Cold Water. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/survival-time-cold-water-d_1567.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.