Properly draining steam pipes for condensate.
The 3D model above is made with sketchup.engineeringtoolbox.com
Steam traps for draining should be located
- on horizontal pipes - every 30 - 50 m (100 - 150 ft)
- in front of pressure reducing valves to avoid damaging the equipment
- in front of control valves to avoid damaging the equipment
- in front of normally closed valves to avoid building up condensate that may damage the system when accelerated
- at the bottom of vertical lines
- at the end of the steam line
Recommended Drip Leg Dimensions
|Main Diameter||Pocket Diameter||Pocket Depth|
Example - Drip Leg Dimensions
The recommended drip leg dimension for a 80 mm (3 in) steam pipe is 80 mm (3 in). The pocket depth should be 700 mm (28 in).