Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Types of soil and resistivity.
The resistivity values of soil may be useful when designing earth-electrode systems.
Soil - Electrical Resistivity
|Soil||Mean Value of Resistivity|
(ohm m, Ω m)
|Clay, compacted ||100 - 200 |
|Clay, soft ||50 |
|Clayely sand ||50 - 500 |
|Humus, leaf mold ||10 - 150 |
|Granite ||1500 - 10000 |
|Granite, modified ||100 - 600 |
|Jurassic marl ||30 - 40 |
|Limestone, fissured ||500 - 1000 |
|Marl ||100 - 200 |
|Mica schist ||800 |
|Peat, turf ||5 - 100 |
|Sandstone ||1500 - 10000 |
|Sandstone, modified ||100 - 600 |
|Shist, shale ||50 - 300 |
|Siliceous sand ||200 - 300 |
|Soil, chalky ||100 - 300 |
|Soil, swampy ||1 - 30 |
|Stony sub-soil, grass-covered ||300 - 500 |
|Stony ground ||1500 - 3000 |
- Electrical units, amps and electrical wiring, wire gauge and AWG, electrical formulas and motors.
- Densities - pound per cubic foot and kilograms per cubic metre - of dirt and mud.
- Resistivity, conductivity and temperature coefficients for common materials like silver, gold, platinum, iron and more..
- Typical weight and composition of soil.
- Estimate trench excavation - online calculator.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2013). Soil - Electrical Resistivity. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/soil-resistivity-d_1865.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.