Engineering ToolBox - Resources, Tools and Basic Information for Engineering and Design of Technical Applications!
Volume not occupied by solid material.
Porosity is expressed as the volume not occupied by solid material
n = Vv / V
= 1 - ρbulk / ρsolid (1)
n = porosity
Vv = void volume (m3, ft3)
V = total volume (m3, ft3)
ρbulk = bulk density (kg/m3, slugs/ft3)
ρsolid = solid density (kg/m3, slugs/ft3)
- Material properties of gases, fluids and solids - densities, specific heats, viscosities and more.
- Air filters efficiency and arrestance.
- Classification of coal based on volatile matter and cooking power of clean material.
- An introduction to density, specific weight and specific gravity.
- Bulk densities of some common food products like grain, corn, barley, sugar and more.
- Thermal conductivity - k-values - vs. temperature.
- Soil and rock expansion - or swell - after mining.
Search is the most efficient way to navigate the Engineering ToolBox.
About the Engineering ToolBox!
We don't collect information from our users. More about
This page can be cited as
- The Engineering ToolBox (2012). Porosity. [online] Available at: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/porosity-d_1820.html [Accessed Day Month Year].
Modify the access date according your visit.