The maximum number of circles possible within a rectangle
The calculator below estimates the maximum number of circles that may fit within a rectangle. The calculator can be used to calculate
- the number of pipes - or wires - that fits within a conduit or similar applications
Input the rectangle inside dimensions - height and width and the circles outside diameters.
Default values are for 0.5 inch circles inside a 10 inch x 10 inch square. The calculator is generic and any kind of units can be used - as long as the same units are used for all values.
- Note that with some combinations of rectangular shapes and circle sizes - one or two more circles - or even more - may be added with a modified layout of the circles. In the default triangular example above - two more circles can be added in between if the left and right bottom circles are moved to the left and right border. The algorithm used for the calculation is quite simple and may underestimate the number of circles in some cases.
- en: circles within rectangle rectangular triangular pattern
- es: círculos dentro de rectángulo patrón triangular rectangular
- de: Kreise innerhalb rechteckig dreieckigen Muster