Comparing pumps, compressors, blowers and fans
A generic definition of a Pump is
"A machine or device for raising, compressing, or transferring fluids."
In practice - it is common to differentiate between
as summarized below:
- A pump is a machine for raising a liquid - a relatively incompressible fluid - to a higher level of pressure or head.
- A compressor is a machine for raising a gas - a compressible fluid - to a higher level of pressure.
- A blower is a machine for moving volumes of a gas with moderate increase of pressure.
- A fan moves large amounts of gas with low increase in pressure.
- en: pump fan compressor blower