Maximum designed pump efficiency
A pump does not completely convert the kinetic to pressure energy. Some of the energy is always lost internal and external in the pump.
- hydraulic losses - disk friction in the impeller, loss due to rapid change in direction an velocities through the pump
- volumetric losses - internal recirculation at wear rings and bushes
- mechanical losses - friction in seals and bearings
The efficiency of the pump at the designed point is normally maximum and is called the
- Best Efficiency Point - BEP
It is possible to operate the pump at other points than BEP, but the efficiency of the pump will always be lower than BEP.
- en: best efficiency point bep pump